How Quickly Does Protein Work Once You’ve Taken It? #QoW
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
How Quickly Does Protein Work Once You’ve Taken It?
This question is two-fold. There’s the time it actually takes for your protein shake to reach your muscles and the question of if there’s a ‘window of time’ for which this process will work. Lets start with the first part:
It’s widely recognised that whey protein is the fastest absorbing protein. If mixed with water, your body can start breaking it down and delivering amino acids to your muscles in around 30 minutes.
It’s been a long held assumption that protein shakes should be consumed immediately following a workout to maximise the benefits of the protein and carbohydrate mix to replenish your depleted glycogen stores. This theory has been in question in recent years and studies are showing that perhaps this ‘window’ is not rigid.
Most importantly, you need to find what works for you. If your body feels better off by drinking a shake before your workout, then carry on. If you find a post-workout shake sets you up for the day then go for it! Everyone is different, so listen to your body and follow a routine that gives you what you need.
- Get to Know our Ambassadors: Dr Nick
- Women's Health Series: Cervical Cancer and Screening
- How Do the Lungs Respond to Exercise?
- More Neat Ambassador’s Favourite Healthy Eateries in London
- 3 Outdoor HIIT Workouts for Spring
- 5 Green Shakes for St Patrick’s Day
- Technology and Your Best Life
- Women's Health Series: Contraception
- Balance Festival: What to Expect
- Protein Packed Substitutes for Your Favourite Chocolate Bars