Our Provenance Story: How Do We Make Our Products?
Here at Neat we’re passionate about the provenance of our products and making sure that only the best, high-quality ingredients end up in your post-workout shake. So, we thought we’d give you the lowdown on where and how we source all our ingredients, and how exactly our Whey Protein and Vegan Protein is made:
Starting in the British countryside, our Whey and Vegan proteins are naturally sourced from grass-fed cows and home-grown crops. It’s then transported to East Anglia where production takes place. Natural flavours are added to our well-sourced base ingredients, before being packaged into our Kraft bags.
Whey and Vegan Proteins differ in their production. Here’s a quick guide to how each comes to life:
- Lots of lovely cows spend their days in fields chewing grass to produce milk
- The milk is collected and refrigerated before being transported to a cheese factory.
- The milk is separated into curds and whey. Curds are used to make cheese while the liquid whey is earmarked for whey protein.
- The liquid whey goes through ultra-filtration were a lot of the fat and lactose is removed.
- This filtered whey is then spray dried to create a powder.
- To create our Lean Protein, a couple of extra ingredients, including our Organic Matcha Green Tea and L’Carnitine, are also added to help promote lean muscle and fat burn.
- Whole seeds from hemp plants are harvested while Pea protein is extracted from yellow split peas.
- The outer shell is broken away from the hemp seeds and the pea protein is reduced to a pea flour.
- Oil is extracted from the hemp seed to form a ‘cake’ and the pea flour is hydrated and purified
- The hemp ‘cake’ is added to the original outer shell. This mixture is crushed and combined to form the hemp protein powder. Elsewhere, using a multi-stage dryer, the pea protein is dried to form a powder
- The base hemp and pea proteins are then mixed to create an optimum blend of 80% pea and 20% hemp.
From East Anglia, it’s pretty simple really - our protein powders is delivered to your doorstep, ready for you to mix, drink or cook with!