Pumpkin Protein Waffle Sticks with Chia Jam
This really is the most perfectly delicious and nutritious breakfast. It sounds super fancy and impossible to put together on those busy manic mornings but we promise we're here to help. Cue layered waffle sticks. We batch cook the waffles on the weekends and because they freeze so wonderfully, we just pop them in the toaster on a busy weekday morning and that is breakfast sorted for the whole family.
For the Waffles
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 (dry) ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs to the bananas and whisk together, before adding the pumpkin purée, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk again until fully combined.
- Pour this liquid mixture into the dry flour mixture and mix well. Slowing add the milk a little at a time until thoroughly combined, even though it will still be a bit lumpy due to the banana.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Spray with a little non-stick oil and spoon the batter carefully onto the heated waffle iron and close the lid.
- Depending on your waffle iron, it will take approximately 10 minutes for the waffles to cook and crisp up nicely, but do keep checking so that they don’t dry out and burn. Once the waffles are done, slice into sticks and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool before you pop them in the freezer, or enjoy immediately.
TIP — Don’t actually stack the waffles on top of each other or they will lose their crispy-ness.
For the Chia Jam
- Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan and just cover with water (how much depends on the size of the pan).
- Simmer on a low heat for 15–20 mins or until all the fruit is very soft. You might need to add a tbsp more water every now and again if it gets too dry. Mash to desired consistency.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Serve the waffle sticks and chia jam with 1–2 tbsp of a yogurt of your choice.
- 200g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 20g flaxseed
- ½ tsp salt
- 30g Neat Nutrition Protein Powder
- 3 eggs (or vegan egg replacer)
- 2 bananas
- 120g canned pumpkin puree
- 170ml milk (I used almond milk)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g organic coconut oil (melted)
Ingredients: Chia Jam
- 4 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. coconut palm sugar
- 1 plum (chopped)
- Rind and flesh of 3 blood oranges
- Yogurt to serve
Nutritionals per serving: Calories = 291; P = 10g, C = 39g, F = 12g)*
*All calorie and macro calculations are estimates and will vary depending on portion size and ingredients used.