HIIT Tabata Style workout from Tom Kemp, Farm Fitness
We’ve been sharing some workouts devised by Neat Ambassador Tom Kemp and this week, we’ve got a tabata style (8 rounds of two exercises) workout using some basic pieces of equipment!
High Intensity Interval Training is designed to get your heart rate up and burn more fat. You should be giving it your all during each round followed by short periods of recovery.
This workout is designed for people who have a level of fitness before they begin (e.g. not a complete beginner).
As usual, the sets are simple, but this time Tom has added in some equipment. You’ll need:
- 2x Medicine ball
Perform exercises 1A and 1B for 20 seconds each with a 10 second rest between exercises. Repeat this for 8 rounds before moving onto exercises 2A and 2B. When you’ve completed the first 8 rounds take a 90-120sec break and then begin again with exercises 2A and 2B aiming to complete 8 rounds again.
Here’s some top tips from Tom on each move, then watch the video to see how Tom puts these into practice.
1A/ Lateral shuffle med ball slam
- Raise med ball behind head
- Contract core as you explosively slam the ball to the floor
- Side step across pick up med ball chest up and back straight and repeat
1B/ Kettlebell swing
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart
- As you lower, hinge at the hips by pushing your glutes back
- Drive your hips forward
- Allow kettlebell to swing to head height
2A/ Power bag cleans
- Start with bag on floor
- Grab handles chest up arms straight
- Pull bag explosively to chest height extending hips forward
- Catch bag at chest height, elbows up
2B/ Press up
- Arms shoulder width apart
- Lower until chest is just off the floor then press back up until arms are straight
- To regress, drop down to knees
Now, watch the whole thing and give it a go!
- Get to Know our Ambassadors: Dr Nick
- Women's Health Series: Cervical Cancer and Screening
- How Do the Lungs Respond to Exercise?
- More Neat Ambassador’s Favourite Healthy Eateries in London
- 3 Outdoor HIIT Workouts for Spring
- 5 Green Shakes for St Patrick’s Day
- Technology and Your Best Life
- Women's Health Series: Contraception
- Balance Festival: What to Expect
- Protein Packed Substitutes for Your Favourite Chocolate Bars